Junior PHP Developer
We are: Zesty is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for technology, the Internet and customer service. Zesty is an award winning digital strategy, design and development agency with over 22 years’ experience gained across 2000+ digital projects.
The development team consists of developers covering a wide range of technologies such as
- PHP (WordPress, Symfony, raw PHP)
- .NET (Kentico and Umbraco)
- Front End (HTML5, CSS3, VueJS)
- Voice (Alexa and Google Home, primarily NodeJS)
The section you would be working for is the Open Source / PHP team, working primarily with WordPress and Symfony.
There is no dedicated Voice `team` as such. Instead, voice applications are delivered by developers across the teams. If this is an area you are interested in, then there will be opportunities for you.
Your role: Junior Software Developer (PHP)
To eventually be responsible for the development of internal and external customer-driven applications, including CMS configuration and development of business logic handling, back-end database integration and a wide variety of API integrations.
You will learn to model data and workflows to fit the business requirements in order to design a solution that will deliver on the objectives. You may be expected to work with databases using Raw MySQL, WordPress Query Builder and an ORM such as Doctrine, Propel or Eloquent this is true as much of WordPress as it is of Symfony development.
WordPress development in Zesty is not simply a “Plugin & Configure” role, it is very much a development role. You should show capability in delivering using an MVC approach regardless of the underlying platform and be able to demonstrate and ability to code websites and/or plugins from scratch.
Day to day you will:
The day to day work consists of learning multiple frameworks and technologies through experience by supporting our existing client base; assisting in the delivery of new projects for our clients, both internal and external across a range of sectors, and taking part in personal developemnt or training exercises.
What we’re looking for from you:
You’re a keen and eager developer with a passion for internet and related technologies, and the benefits that it brings to the business.
You should be able to demonstrate an understanding of PHP in an Object Oriented sense and will have a good grounding in software engineering princples.
- You will know what namespaces are
- You will know what composer is and how to use it
- You will be able to make use of autoloading and avoid include/require statements
- You can demonstrate the logical organisation of your code into classes
- You should know what M.V.C is and evidence that in your code structure.
- You will be familiar with some web security risks; you must be aware of SQL Injection at a minimum and be able to demonstrate your defence against it in any sample code you submit.
- You will separate your PHP logic from your HTML – preferably through the use of a template language such as Twig, Smarty or Blade
What’s in it for you?
We are a diverse and dynamic team that is expanding. We have an amazing office, a flexible working pattern and a great team environment. We’ll help you deliver your best work and grow you with career and personal development through training, conferences and courses.
- Occasional Remote working supported after probationary period is complete.
- Waterfront Office Location with views over Belfast
- Cycle to Work Scheme vouchers
- Onsite Bicycle Parking
- On Site Shop with Coffee-bar, hot food counter & Sandwich-bar
- Onsite Shower Facilities
- Competitive company contribution pension scheme
- Life Insurance (death in service benefit)
- AXA Healthcare
- Bupa Dental
- Conference Attendance opportunities
- Technical Certification assistance
- Access to Free Training Materials –
- LinkedIn Learning
- Community Online Academy
- Perks at Work discounts and employee pricing
- NewsUK Subscriptions e.g. Times & Sunday Times Subscription
- Mindfulness resources
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Free Tea and (instant) coffee
Equal opportunities: The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse and team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where all talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.
- Based in our Belfast or Remote Work offices